- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick unsalted butter, chilled in freezer for 30 mins
- 1/2 cup heavy cream plus 2 Tbsp for brushing
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1–1.5 cups of chocolate chips, berries, fruit etc....
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl. Grate the frozen butter. Add it to the flour mixture and using two forks, or your fingers until the butter comes together in pea-sized crumbs.
- Whisk 1/2 cup heavy cream, the egg, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Pour mixture into the flour mixture, add our chocolate chips, berries etc then mix together.
- Pour onto a counter with flour and, with floured hands, work dough into a ball gently. Dough will be stick and you can add a little more flour. If too dry, add 1 to 2 more tablespoons heavy cream. Gently mold into an 8-inch disc and with a sharp knife cut into 8 wedges or to whatever size you prefer.
- Brush scones with heavy cream and for extra crunch, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place scones on baking sheet or plate and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- After refrigerating, arrange scones 2-3 inches apart on a baking sheet(s).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and lightly browned on top. Larger scones take closer to 25 minutes.